Delving into the vast expanse of Starfield’s universe, players are met with various backgrounds to kickstart their interstellar journey. These backgrounds shape the beginning of your adventure and influence your character’s skills and trajectory. With a galaxy’s worth of choices, which are the best Starfield backgrounds? Welcome then to our Starfield Background tier list, we rank all the backgrounds according to their traits and more.
Starfield, Bethesda’s latest space-faring masterpiece, plunges players into a sprawling cosmos teeming with mysteries, alien civilizations, and uncharted worlds.
As a silent protagonist, you’re handed the reins to not only sculpt your avatar’s physical features but to also carve out their backstory through the selection of backgrounds and traits. Each background opens the portal to unique starting skills, while the myriad traits and abilities unfurl as you further explore the stars.
By understanding which backgrounds offer the most advantageous starting skills, players can strategize their early game for optimal progression. Our Starfield background tier list will guide you through these choices, ensuring you set foot on the best path possible.
September 4th, 2023: We have updated our Starfield tier list for backrounds.
S Tier – Starfield Best Backgrounds
In the S tier, we’ve ranked the best backgrounds in Starfield. These backgrounds provide an unmatched advantage, giving players a robust set of starting skills that can significantly influence their journey across the stars.
- Bounty Hunter
- Space Scoundrel
- Cyber Runner
A step below the elites, the A tier backgrounds still offer a strong foundation for players, boasting a balanced blend of starting skills suitable for a diverse range of playstyles.
- [File Not Found]
- Combat Medic
These backgrounds are versatile and reliable. While they may not shine as brightly as those in the higher tiers, they certainly hold their own, granting players a solid starting point for their space adventures.
- Beast Hunter
- Long Hauler
While they might be at the bottom of our list, the C-tier backgrounds have their unique charms. Ideal for players seeking a more challenging or unconventional start, these backgrounds can provide unexpected advantages in specific scenarios.
Starfield Backgrounds: Top Tips for a Stellar Start
Embarking on a journey through the vast expanse of space in Starfield is no small feat. Your chosen background sets the stage for the adventures ahead, influencing challenges, opportunities, and the overall trajectory of your story.
To ensure you make the most of this pivotal choice and thrive in the cosmic playground, we’ve compiled a set of Starfield tips:
- Align with Your Playstyle: Consider how you want to play Starfield before selecting a background. If you’re inclined towards stealth, choose a background that boosts relevant skills. If you’re a combat enthusiast, focus on backgrounds that enhance combat abilities.
- Think Long-Term: While the initial advantages of a background are significant, remember that Starfield is a vast game. The initial perks might become less pronounced as you progress, so consider the broader journey.
- Experiment and Replay: Don’t be afraid to start a few games with different backgrounds to get a feel for each. Sometimes, firsthand experience is the best way to determine what suits you best.
- Research Community Feedback: The Starfield community is vibrant and active. Check forums, Reddit, and other community hubs to gather insights on the strengths and weaknesses of each background.
- Don’t Underestimate Lower Tiers: While our tier list provides a guideline, every background has its unique charm. Sometimes, a C tier background can offer a unique experience that you might find more rewarding than an S tier.
- Combine Background with Traits Wisely: Remember, your background will influence your initial skills, but traits will further shape your character’s strengths and weaknesses. Choose combinations that complement each other for a well-rounded experience.
- Plan Your Skill Tree Progression: Knowing the initial boost you get from your background, you can strategize your progression in the skill trees more effectively. For instance, if your background gives you a head start in Science, maybe prioritize Tech or Combat next to diversify your abilities.
- Stay Adaptable: Starfield is designed to be adaptable even if you feel a background isn’t perfect after a few hours of gameplay. There are countless ways to evolve your character, so remain flexible in your strategy.
- Engage with Companions: Certain backgrounds might align better with specific companions or factions in the game. Interact with as many NPCs as possible to uncover potential synergies or beneficial relationships.
- Enjoy the Journey: While strategy is essential, Starfield is about exploration and immersion. Whichever background you choose, dive into the lore, explore the vast cosmos, and relish the adventure that unfolds.
What are the Starfield Classes?
Starfield doesn’t have classes per se, instead, it has backgrounds and each background has a special trait, so in a way, the backgrounds are the classes of Starfield.
By the way, don’t forget to check out our Starfield Traits Tier List, to see which are the best traits in the game (in our opinion) as well as our Starfield skills tier list to see the best skills for early game.
Starfield Background Tier List – Final Words
Thank you, dear explorers, for navigating this starry Starfield Backgrounds tier list with us. We hope it serves as a beacon, guiding you towards the best choices for your Starfield adventure.
As the universe continues to evolve and new discoveries are made, so too will our insights and rankings.
Don’t forget to bookmark this page and enjoy reading more tier lists for similar games such as our Everspace 2 tier list, Destiny 2 class tier list, and Warframe tier list. May the stars light your path!
Starfield Best Backgrounds – FAQ
Starfield is a single-player space exploration game developed by Bethesda Game Studios. It’s an open-world role-playing game set in space, allowing players to explore galaxies, interact with alien civilizations, and embark on grand adventures, all while carving their own story based on character backgrounds and choices.
Selecting a background in Starfield determines the three starting skills for your character. This can influence your early game experiences, making certain challenges easier or more difficult based on the skill set aligned with your chosen background.
A Starfield background tier list provides a structured ranking of choices based on perceived strength or advantage. For Starfield, understanding which backgrounds offer the most advantageous starting skills can help players strategize their early gameplay, ensuring they get the most out of their chosen path.
Not necessarily. While our tier list ranks backgrounds based on their overall advantage in starting skills, some players might find lower-tier backgrounds more suited to their specific playstyle or the challenges they wish to encounter. It’s all about personal preference and desired gameplay experience.
In Starfield, once you’ve chosen a background for your character, it sets your initial skills and cannot be changed, so you will have to play that background until you decide to run something else, at which point you need to create a different character. However, as you progress, you’ll unlock additional traits and abilities that can further shape your character’s journey.
Our tier list is based on a combination of background analysis and feedback from the community on Reddit. We strive to provide a balanced perspective that can cater to a wide range of players.
Absolutely! As more players explore Starfield and as potential updates or expansions for the game get released, we’ll revisit our tier list to ensure it remains relevant and helpful.
We value the input from our readers! Feel free to drop your feedback in the comments section, or rate the post by clicking on the stars below. Your experiences and insights can help shape future updates to our tier list.
Enjoyed our Starfield best backgrounds tier list? Rate it below!